The whole year of 2008 I had problems urinating. I would see my family doctor. Often complaining of frequent urination. I was given exams on the prostate and PSA test but every thing would come out normal.
Finally I was sent to the urologist and gave me a biopsy on the prostate and it came back positive for Stage T2 cancer with a Gleason Score of 9. Two weeks later I got a second opinion and the cancer moved to stage T3.
I found out that I had one of the rare cancers that that destroys cell so fast that a bad PSA is not detectable. I have finished radiation 39 treatments and am still on Lupron every 4 months.
My last PSA test on June 12 2009 was 0.1. Next test is on August 17 2009 so I am waiting.
I had my third Lupron shot on August 16 2009 and exam. PSA was down to 0.0 and the prostate was smooth and flat. The doctor says we have the cancer on the run. Its been 9 months since diagnosis - I hope the cancer is on the run forever.
December 18 2009 had exam and PSA test. All is still fine and PSA is still 0.00 one year since diagnosis I pray it stays ok.
The doctors have taken me off all treatments as of April 2010 as PSA has been at 0.40 for eight months.
So just watchful waiting at this time. Next exam is June 9 2011.
As of November 2011 the cancer has came back as detectable (0.10) but the doctors are still going to wait six months before doing anything.
Urologist stated that the cancer is returning too fast went from PSA 1 to 6 in six months he is going to freeze the prostate and place me back on Lupron. This will begin in August.
Appointment with urologist on 26 of Feb. 2013 still waiting for urologist to decide next step.
Will begin hormone Lupron shots again on 3/27/2013 once a month then we will watch.
Urologist has now placed me on a vegetarian diet with no treatments of any kind as of now will get review with him again in Sept.
Saw urologist on Sept. 26, PSA test has shown no change from last test. Stayed at 4.7, the doc. says we will wait 3 months then test again.
Saw urologist on December 20, 2013. PSA rose to 12.0 we will begin hormone treatment again - don't know which yet.
Dec. 27, 2013 urologist started me on Fermagon shots for three months then after that back to Lupron every 4 months will do a PSA test on Feb. 27 2014.
April 1 PSA rising to 12; switch from Fermagon back to Lupron. May 1 will have test to see if lupron is working; fermagon did not work. If Lupron does not work, urologist will filter my blood will have to wait.
Went to urologist, PSA went to 20 also went to stage 4 with cancer spreading to bones put on Casodex 50 mm and Lupron shots I'm waiting for the doctor's office to call for info on further treatment.
On Aug. 4 will begin Provenge treatment for 6 weeks, as nothing else is working. If this fails to help will probably go on chemo. Very expensive treatment.
Just had six weeks of Provenge treatment, very expensive, next, we will wait and test PSA in a month after this, chemo, when don't know yet see doc on October 3.
PSA drop to 5.0; Still on Lupron; see urologist on January 3, 2015.
Had Provenge treatment Sept. Not worth it. The Dendrion people who own it are liars and my oncologist is against it. I suggest you do not have this treatment. The benefits are not good.
PSA went from 4 to 10. Cancer went to spine. I am now receiving radiation on back and will begin chemo after radiation.
Looks like cancer is on the move; I pray it stops.
Cancer spreading in spine fast, will begin chemo on March 12, 2015. I pray it works.
Began chemo once every 3 weeks; will last 18 weeks; should end in July 2015. Will see what happens.
06/25/2015 will be my last chemo treatment this time around then will wait to see what happens.
Chemo did not work, cancer traveled to neck and shoulder. Sept. 3 started radiation again for 3 weeks. Hope it helps, in a lot of pain, see oncologist on Sept 10 2015; will find out what's next.
Started Zytiga and Prednisone, will see in 2 months if it works. Just finished radiation on my back. Cancer is moved to my spine and bones.
Seen oncologist on Dec 10. The pill Zytiga is working so far and has reduced my PSA from 19.05 to 17.5. Will be tested each month for the drug's action and stay on it until it stops working. Then we will see.
Still taking Zytiga pills. PSA has dropped to 7.75 from 19.5.
Went to oncologist June 30. The Zytiga drug stopped working. PSA went up to 12.2 from 7.75 so doc is going to set me up to try new radiation shot. Don't know about it but I'm waiting to hear from the doctors.
Will begin a radiation treatment on Sept 1, will be done by infusion in the veins. Don't know the name yet but is designed to attack the cancer cells in the bones. I will have an infusion once a month for 6 months.
PSA went up to 16. Still receiving intravenous radiation, will be done by January 19. Just waiting for now.
Still taking internal radiation. Will be done on 1/19/2017. My PSA is up to 22 now. Tumors are in my spine and I'm in a lot of pain every day. Going to go to pain management soon.
All my doctors say that it's time to stop treatments and go on hospice. I can't function too good now, so I stopped all treatments for now. As of May 2017, I did not want to know my PSA or anything else so I don't have them. I will wait and see what happens now.
Dennis's e-mail address is: email@example.com